Nowadays, children, besides of going to the school, practice a sport, mostly a team sport. And just like so many things, this also has its advantages and disadvantages on physical, emotional and mental field.
The decision of which one is greater, the advantages or the disadvantages depend on the point of view of the parents and of the children.
– They will learn the value of teamwork
– They will learn how to work in a team
– They will develop their ability of trusting someone else
– They will learn how to select the trustful people
– They will make more friends
– the pressure of being the best
– the possibility of not being the best
– possible emotional implications of not being the best can affect the self-esteem of a child
– physical activity stimulates the brain
– sport is a way of relaxing of the stress and pressure from the school, therefore, after exercises, the lessons will be automatically easier to understand and to learn
– competitive sport takes precedence over a child's education
– learning may be neglected
– lack of mentally challenge
– they will learn the benefits of being fit, limber and strong
– it ensures a great and healthy growth of the body of the child
– they will be protected by obesity
– the danger of long-term injury
– early overuse of joints, ligaments and muscles can lead to joint and tendon problems, arthritis, back and neck problems
These issues have to be considered again and again before deciding on the type of sport that your child will be practicing.